Wednesday 30 May 2012

Weight loss

What would you say if I told you that I've lost 50lb?
That’s what my weightwatchers calculator told me this morning. Obviously I’m pleased. It would be churlish not to be. But because I’m an ungrateful cow I have been faintly annoyed by some people’s reactions of late.
One family member, who shall remain nameless, said “Wow, your features are...almost normal!”.
Someone I hadn’t seen for a while was so overwhelmed yesterday, she kept asking me if I thought she should do it too (tough one, that) and made a point of saying “Bye, and CONGRATULATIONS!” very loudly in the swimming pool changing room.
The trouble is, dramatic reactions just make me think “Did I look that dreadful before?”. Because I don’t feel terribly different inside. It’s nice to fit into normal clothes, but there’s a faint sense of anticlimax. Which is silly, because it has been a long slog. I thought I’d been doing weightwatchers since late last summer, but it turns out it’s been 14 months.
It wasn’t too bad in the early days because you get extra points when breastfeeding. In fact, that’s why I carried on breastfeeding for a month longer than planned – because we were going on holiday to Cornwall and I wanted to be able to eat more...
10am
Help! Have just had a phonecall from nursery, which started with the awful words “Now don’t worry, but Logan’s had an accident”. He’s fallen over, hit his mouth on a table, and bitten his lip. Apparently it was bleeding and is now swollen, but they are adamant I shouldn’t collect him. They just needed authorisation for calpol. He is playing happily now. I ought to go. I want to go. But he’s bouncing back and I’ve asked for an update later. What should I do?

No comments:

Post a Comment