Friday 1 June 2012

Head injury


He fell over again.
Less than two hours after banging his mouth on a table at nursery, Logan fell onto a shelf and cut his forehead. No dithering about whether to collect him – they said I ought to take him to get checked out, because he’d been rather unsteady on his feet after the first fall. Which is perhaps why it had happened again.
I zoomed.
We are v lucky to be near an excellent walk-in children’s clinic, at Hammersmith Hospital. You get seen speedily, by a paediatrician, without an appointment. They are very efficient and reassuring.
If only we’d known about them when Logie was just a few months old, and NHS Direct told me to call an ambulance because he was making a choking noise. The ambulance took 66 minutes to arrive.
Yes, 66. Try just counting to 66 – even that feels like forever. He clearly wasn’t choking, otherwise I would’ve got in the car, or started screaming in the street. But NHS Direct put the fear of god in me – “Put the phone down, call 999, tell them we said to call and that it’s category A”. Even typing that gives me a fearful rush of adrenaline.
Turns out it was just a funny noise he was making, because of excess saliva or his discovering a way to get a reaction. But it wasn’t terribly relaxing, ringing 999 and being told each time it was on its way, don’t move – or waiting for hours in A&E. In a corridor, because he’d been sick earlier that day (unrelated) so we were ejected from the nice paediatric waiting area.
Anyway, back to this week. He’s fine. No concussion. A split lip which has now blistered up, and a cut on his forehead. Arnica has helped the bump go down. He is a very brave bear.
I on the other hand have been in a right mood since then. I got all dramatic yesterday about not having enough sleep, so my lovely mum came and did the early shift this morning. My back is grumbling again so I’ve booked a massage tomorrow, cos I can’t get to the osteopath. I just ate a Kit Kat chunky by mistake. How hard my life is.
Anyway, this long weekend will be lovely. Logie has a t-shirt that says ‘Happy Jubilee Mrs Majesty’. If I don’t perk up I’ll need my head examined.

No comments:

Post a Comment